The Financial Counselor identifies all patient admissions, surgeries and outpatient observation cases with potential financial concerns and with other hospital resources, works toward resolution. Coordinates financial services with Case Management, and the Business Office. Assists patient and family members with potential funding options. Follows up to secure the patients financial situation.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital by providing an environment that allows for provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
• Minimum of two years’ experience in Insurance Verification or Business Office role in a hospital setting.
• High School graduate or equivalent
• Knowledge of all aspects of patient registration functions and insurance verification.
• Must be able to demonstrate understanding of and ability to interpret third party payor principles and terms regarding benefits and patient responsibility portions.
• Must have current experience with California Medi-Cal products.
• Computer experience with knowledge of Windows and Excel.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Reviews and monitors all admissions for potential financial concerns or problems.
• Reviews the financial information during admission up to discharge for complete demographic and insurance information, required deposits and pre-certification approvals in order to sign off that the admission is financially secured
• Updates financial account with accurate demographic and insurance information from admission through bill production
• Collects deposits and establishes payment arrangements for all self-pay accounts.
• Identifies accounts eligible for Medi-Cal and refers to eligibility agency.
• Completes HPE for appropriate encounters and/or refers to agency for eligibility determination
• Liaison for Medi-Cal application process done through Medi-Cal eligibility agency on inpatient accounts.
• Follows up on “MediCal pending” accounts until they are either approved for MediCal or changed to self pay or other insurance.
• Provides back up to insurance verification when necessary.
• Provides information to patients and families on the medical center’s Charity policy when appropriate.
• Communicates clearly and professionally with customers.
• Works with Case Management to assure approved days throughout the stay.
• Assures all work is documented in the computer on the patient’s account.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisory personnel.
Salary: $17.77 – $22.21 per hour