The BHU Registered Nurse will provide safe and therapeutic management of patient care to adult and elderly behavioral health patients through utilization of the Nursing process, in adherence to the Standards of Practice and policies and procedures, and in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- Current CA RN license and BLS (AHA) for healthcare provider card upon hire.
- Current CPI certificate or within 30 days of entry to position.
- Minimum 1 year experience in acute psychiatric inpatient setting preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the ability to assess and interpret data, determine patient care requirements and deliver care relative to the patients’ age specific needs.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of psychiatric nursing.
Provides direct patient care to a specified patient population
- Appropriately manages the care of mental health patients, maintaining department standards of quality.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Assessment
- Collects data by interviewing patient, family/significant other within specified time frame.
- Utilizes collected data to establish a list of actual and potential patient problems/needs.
- Utilizes collected data to form a hypothesis as to the etiologic basis for each identified actual or potential problem/need.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Planning
- Establishes the priority of problems /needs according to the actual/potential threat to the patient.
- Communicates the written plan of care, and changes to the plan, to the patient, family, significant other and other members of health care team through the report process and other methods as appropriate.
- Updates/revises the written plan of care as patient needs are resolved and/or as patient condition changes.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Implementation
- Performs basic nursing procedures, specific unit based nursing procedures and/or standardized procedures safely, accurately and efficiently per policy and procedure.
- Incorporates interventions that communicate acceptance on the patients’ beliefs, culture, religion, and socioeconomic background.
- Interacts with patient on a one-to-one basis in a therapeutic manner.
- Monitors the safety of the therapeutic milieu and assists in the management of the assaultive patient.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Evaluation
- Monitors patient behavior to evaluate effectiveness of patient teaching provided.
- Recognizes life threatening patient complications/situations and responds immediately by initiating and participating in emergency procedures.
- Understands the legal aspects of nursing and the importance of accurate and timely documentation according to standards and policy and procedures.
- Documents evaluation findings in the patient record.
- Satisfies all required competency evaluation.
Job Type: Full-time, Part-time, Per-Diem
Salary: $41.43 – $51.79 per hour
Benefits (Full-Time Only):
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Standard shift (12 hours)
Work Location: In person